Saturday, January 23, 2010

Lets Get The Party Started

Well kids, its official. I am here, in Santiago, Chile. I arrived on wednesday morning exhausted from a very long 24 hours process of flights, layovers, and not being able to communicate with everyone i encountered. However i found it very interesting that even though i may not speak the same language as someone, we still find ways to communicate. Which is something I have been assured of over and over since I have been here. All i can say is that a smile and staying true to my happy go lucky self is a language all on its own, that everyone in every country knows!
Wednesday was a fairly great day, I saw my family, slept, and hung out by the pool. At night was when I truly got introduced to the Chilean culture. My cousin Andrew, and his girlfreind Jechu took me to a local bar for a friends birthday. In my mind this was the beginning of my new life here, and a test which would decide my fate.
We were welcomed at the bar by hugs and kisses by the two people who were there already(in this culture it is accostume to kiss everyone on the cheek when you meet, and when you say farewell). We sat down and the drinking and memories began. As most of you who know me, know I dont drink often, and I dont drink and get drunk, its just not my dealio. I cant express to you how blown away the chileans are that I dont get together and drink all the time, because here, drinking is a huge part of their everyday life.
At this get together, I met 2 guys that I believe will be very close to me the whole time I am here; ega and nacho. Something else about chile is that everyone has a nickname. Everyone! These boys were very timid of me in the beginning but when I began to let loose and enjoy myself they opened up to me, and we began our freindship.
Thursday morning Nacho, Ega, Andrew and I went for a tour of downtown Santiago. I dont think I have ever walked so much in my life. And in case you didnt know this, but it is summer here and is around 85-100 degrees each day. I really do thrive for weather like this but only when I have a body of water by me.
Downtown Santiago was simply breathtaking and no picture will ever capture its beauty. Something that I feel we dont have enough of in utah, and the U.S. for that matter, is history. Yes we have history but there are not many landmarks or places you can go to become more aware of where you came from. Here is entirely different, people thrive on thier history, knowing where they came from, and continuing that in their everyday life.
I would now like to tell you a few simple things about Chile, but things that make me continue this journey each day. I cant even begin to express to you how kind the people here are. I would be lost and more homesick than ever without the kindness I have recieved. It is the simple things like Ega putting a sweatshirt on me when I was sleeping, Jechu giving me a hug when she knew I needed one, the families of these people actually trying to get to know me even with the challenge of a language barrier, and my family caring so much that they push me to my limits knowing that i will make it through.
On friday i woke up with something missing in my heart and in my life, home. This is when it really hit for me that I am here, and i am here for a very long time. Jechu was there to comfort me in more ways than one. Even though we come from different homes, languages, and traditions, she knows me and understands me in ways that she shouldnt after 3 days. My cousin andrew is a little bit freaked out by how alike we are, and I cant tell you how great it is to have a friend like her here. She made me feel alot better about my situation, and assured me that it will get better. I missed home so much, but I know that I am here for a reason and that I will come out stronger and a much better person after this journey.
Know that I miss you all so very much, and that the only thing that keeps me going each day is you and knowing i will be seeing you all very soon. If I take each day, one day at a time, I will be seeing you all before I know it. Until then, I am here, living my life, and challenging myself to become better in every way, and I couldnt do it without your support. Please dont forget me and if you have a spare moment i would love to hear from you via facebook or letters. I need that contact with home so badly, haha.
Well i love you all, and i hope that my blog is what you thought it would be. This is my first time around at this and i dont really know what i am doing. But if you have suggestions please let me know! <3 ya and miss ya!

1 comment:

  1. Love you Jess! You're doing something most of us only DREAM of doing! Enjoy the journey love! :) We'll be here when you get back!

    ReplyDelete